It’s time to decide to take this whole ‘life’ thing a little more seriously so that you don’t have to take it so seriously later down the line.
The challenge is to remove the less desirable elements from your daily diet and to get a solid understanding of portion awareness and create macro-nutrient ratios most conducive to achieving the goals of the performance athlete. We want to see how your performance, your health, your general sense of well being and your body composition reacts to eating what nature intended for you to eat, at the right amounts and in the right proportions . To some extent, we’ll be following the tenets of our ancestral diet, but we’re not going to give this a name, because ‘diets’ have and end point: you’re either on a diet, or off a diet and that is NOT what we are in for here. You should not have a religious attachment to a Diet, simply find what supports your work and recovery and does not support illness or the accumulation of body fat.
Eat to Win. Everyday.
We want to learn to eat, not diet.
Eat in a way that on every level promotes health and not disease. Promotes better recovery, better sleep, a profoundly stronger immune system and to slake the needs of the elite athlete in all of us: a lifestyle of eating great flavors that promote a stronger, faster athlete with increased endurance and a simply better you.
Ready to change your life for the better? Here’s what you need to do:
1. Pay $70 via Your CF Rubicon Account (the same one that pays your membership dues!).
2. Take 3 photos of yourself: front, back, and right side (profile).
Men: Shorts, no shirt. I do not mean knickers. Think, ‘could I swim in these without becoming a sea anchor?’. You get the point. Ladies: Sports bra and shorts.
Both genders, think ‘high speed, no drag’ when it comes to the clothing choices and be sure to put those clothes away in a safe place: you will need them for the ‘after shots’ and yes, they must be EXACTLY the same clothes, same lighting, same room. Fairness is the key here, you know what’s what.
These photos need to be sent in with the first weekly spreadsheet and will be kept private.
3. Take Measurements.
This is an important baseline. If you have a friend who can help you measure, it might be easier. Here’s what we need:
- Neck at Adam’s apple for men, neck at mid point for women.
- Circumference of chest at nipple height.
- Waist at belly button.
- Hips at widest point. That certainly includes your glutes.
- Right Thigh, six inches above the top of the knee cap.
- Right Calf at widest point.
- Right Forearm at widest point.
- Right Wrist where you wear your watch.
- Right Bicep equidistant between elbow and top of shoulder.
4. Participate in the baseline workouts, Monday 2/24 – Thursday 2/27.
These workouts will be the regular wod for each day. If you miss a day, you can make it up in open gym. We will repeat these workouts at the end of the challenge.
5. Download the challenge spreadsheet and record your data.
The challenge worksheet has individual sheets for recording all of your challenge related data: your measurements, workouts, daily points, and nutrition details. You must enter all the starting and ending measurements and workout scores, as well as daily points and nutrition data.
6. Track Your Food
You must record 3 days of food intake four different times: Week 1, Week 3, Week 5, and Week 7.
Either use a free account on an online calorie/nutrition tracker or use the sheet provided in our challenge spreadsheet (i.e. Livestrong/My Plate, My Fitness Pal, FitDay, SparkPeople, etc.)
7. Record your data. We use a point system to track your commitment. Here’s how you earn points:
- Complete the daily WOD and comment on the blog: 3 points
Not only do we want you to workout, we want you to tell us about it. Share how you did on the blog post each time you workout.
Your score will be a percentage of the total possible points, based on if you are a 13/month athlete vs. unlimited. This keeps it fair regardless of enrollment plan.
- Eat Clean: 5 points
There’s no partial credit, either you ate right that day or you didn’t. Suck it up and tow the line.
Review the Nutrition Challenge Dos and Don’ts to see what is allowed.
- Share Knowledge: 1 point
You can earn one point (per day) for sharing a recipe, article, or some form of tip or trick that will help your Rubicon family be better at eating and living a primal lifestyle. Make sure it’s relevant or it may not count (Chef’s discretion). Share your knowledge by leaving a comment on the daily WOD.
NOTE: if you share a recipe posted online, be sure to include a link and attribution to where you found it.
- Bonus Points – keep your eyes peeled to the website for more info as the weeks progress. This could be a biggie.
8. Email your spreadsheet each week. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
You must send a saved copy of your filled out log to firstname.lastname@example.org every week BEFORE the start of business on Mondays.
The first email must be submitted on or before Monday March 3rd and should include your first worksheet and your “before” photos.
Name your file as follows: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_challengeWorkbook.xlsx
No kidding. This is non negotiable and no mulligans, you have been warned. Keep the spreadsheet in the original format. Failure to comply will take you out of the running for the prize.
Now that you know the rules, what’s the reward? Besides improved health and fitness… MONEY!
All the money collected from participants goes into a prize pool. It will be rewarded as follows:
- 1st place wins 50% of the total pool
- 2nd place gets 30%
- 3rd place takes home 20%
How do I win?
Winning is based on 3 factors: points accumulated, change in body composition (as reflected in body measurements), and improvement in fitness (as measured by our testing wods). Each criteria is worth 33%.
Let’s Do This!
So what do you say? Are you ready to make a positive change in your life? Cool!
Make you sure you do the following:
* Sign-up by Close of Business Friday February 21st.
* Attend our Paleo Potluck/ Challenge 1 week in Q & A Party, Friday March 7th 6:30pm (not required, but highly recommended).
* Read the Dos and Don’ts of What to Eat.
* Read the Tips for Success during the Challenge.
* Mark your calendar for our end of challenge party — Friday April 25th. This is when we we will all celebrate and announce the winners!